Friday, March 24, 2006

Pledge Drives

Ok, I'm not a fan of that NPR institution, the pledge drive. I know it's necessary, I know it's how public radio works, but it's still a big huge interruption. I've already pledged what I can pledge for the year--let me listen to my news!

There are, however, moments of hilarity. Especially when Ira Glass and Gretchen Helfridge (spelling?) are involved. They are currently on the radio, music running behind them, cracking me up. I'm laughing at the (admittedly bad) jokes, sure, but mostly I'm laughing at the fact that these two people seem to be on some form of very special NPR high.

Or they belong in some sort of asylum for cracked NPR employees. Can you imagine it? There would be microphones everywhere, and Scott Simon would be arguing with Ira Glass about current US policy in Iraq. Ira would have a ukelele, Scott would be wearing bunny slippers: it would be fabulous.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, yay! I can finally comment!

Ok, first, hearkening back to Middlesex: Eugenides writes like a poet, in the very best way. Really enjoyed that book. In a similar thematic vein, but a very different style, Wesley Stace's Misfortune is very, very good.

Next, The Dress: So lovely. You'll look tres elegante in it. What color sash? Remind me to tell you about the headpiece/veil-thingy my mom made for my 'do--vintage and pretty and easy and cheap.

Finally, the NPR Home for the Chronically Disaffected and Distracted would be a great place to take tourists, like 17th-century visits to Bedlam. I like to think that Steve Edwards would stroll through occasionally to talk Ira down, and that they'd play Nina Totenberg reading Supreme Court transcripts to calm them at dinner hour.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Al said...

Yay! I fixed the "only members can comment" snafu--silly blog! So maybe the NPR Home could be next to my Refuge for Wayward Dissertants.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Al said...

Oh, and I liked Middlesex, but I wasn't totally crazy about it. Something about the overbearing climactic build towards...what we knew all along. But I thought he did a really great job dealing with the whole intersex thing...

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home