Friday, March 17, 2006

Weddings and Girliness

I am not a girly-girl. I have declared this myself and heard it declared by others. I was on a tent crew for a summer! I spent the summer covered in dirt and sweat and grease, being one of the boys (only I couldn't work topless--which meant one heck of a sports bra tan line). Sure, I'm a domesticated androgyne, but I've always been an androgyne to some extent. So why, now that I'm getting married, am I suddenly a girly-girl?

It all centers around the dress. I got a sample dress from a company recently, in a color that wasn't anywhere near white. I tried it on and....cried. It wasn't bridal, at all. I___ was very confused--his kick-ass fiancee who knows how to use a grip hoist was suddenly crying about a bundle of silk dupioni.

So now I've decided that I need to search for another dress, which means going dress shopping in Vermont with my mom, who will probably need tissues for the whole ordeal. Which is a position I never thought I'd find myself in--being a traditional bride, with a white dress and a crying mother. I never thought I'd have a "real" wedding. Then I got engaged, and discovered that I really wanted the flowers and the white dress and the vows and the etc. Weird.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home