Sunday, March 12, 2006

The Corner of Nowhere and Nowhere

The adventure continues.....

I was supposed to go meet circus people for dinner and drinks tonight, to celebrate the closing of their really fabulous show. I____ told me to go to the Daily Grill in Skokie and meet them there at 8. So, dutiful parter that I am, I got on the red line, then went outside to wait (in the damp) for the Skokie bus, which took about a half an hour to come. I get on said bus and am happy to be safe and warm and on my way to see friends and eat and drink and all those really wonderful things.

Buzzzzz.

The phone. Drat the phone. It's I____. "Um, I misread the sign. We're meeting at the Daily in Lincoln Square."

By now I'm at the corner of nowhere and nowhere, at a gas station with no convenience store and no phone books. So I stand in the cold, under an overhang at least, and watch the thunderstorms roll through as I____ calls a cab from his cell phone from his warm and cozy location in Lincoln Sqaure. They tell him, and he tells me, that a cab will be there in 20 minutes. 30 minutes go by, and no cab. Well, there was a cab, but it didn't look like it was for me, and it looked very off duty. I___ calls the cab company back--the cab that wasn't my cab? It was my cab. 15 more minutes. Finally, a cab. By this time I'm cold, damp, and furious. If you know anything about me and my feline tendencies, you can imagine what a combination this is. Anyway, I decide to go home instead of to the party, and here I am, covered head to toe in cashmere (ok, the pants are some other soft knitted fabric), and slowly remembering that I have a state of being other than "furious."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home