Sunday, March 12, 2006

Look out world...

I feel like Barbara Streisand. Minus the nose.

Welcome to my world, world! I started a bloc on another site, then realized that most of my friends are blogging here and that blogging might be an easy way to stay in touch. So hello to all of my friends--look ma, I finally found technology!

So my exciting adventure today involved taking the green line out to the Garfield Park Conservatory and walking amongst the big gigantic palms and the little teeny cacti. There was a flower show on, too, so there were perfect specimens of all of those flowers that few real people are able to grow, especially in the city. The real excitement came outside, though, when I saw a car come very close to running down a pedestrian, then stop to allow the passenger to open the door to swear at said pedestrian. All of the onlookers began clucking their disapproval like so many chickens shooed from their nests to allow the farmer to get at their eggs.

Meanwhile, I sat on a bench, eating a sandwich, watching this all unfold, noting silently that I've become one of those indifferent urbanites I so despised when I moved to the city. Siri Hustvedt refers to this phenomenon as the "Law of Pretend it's not Happening." Pretend there's no fight about to break out, pretend that guy on the subway isn't drunk, pretend you don't see the guy behind the clothing drop off box relieving himself as you drop off clothes (true story--ask K___).

So the urban adventure continues as I___ and I plot our escape to the country. In the meantime, I have a party filled with circus people to go to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home